Sunday, February 28, 2010

"He got up, rebuked the wind, and said to the waves, 'Quiet! Be still!' Then the wind died down and it was completely calm." - Mark 4:39

When I heard about the earthquake in Chile, I was moved and found myself thinking, "Lord, what is going on?" And when I heard about the ensuing tsunami I was stirred toward acting in a state of prayer. Perhaps it hit home more than the earthquake because I myself had a season in my life when Hawaii was my home and because there were still connections in Hawaii. Mark 4:39 came to my mind as I started to pray. Knowing that the speaker of those words and the author of the winds could calm the storm, I asked God to calm the seas and bring peace to the shores. Even in a prayer so bold one can be challenged to think, "As I pray this, do I really believe that it can happen?" In my state of prayer I was challenged with that thought. Too often, I feel like I don't have the faith to back my prayers. But God is drawing me to a state of belief. He is all and can do all. I believe that it is the prayers of many all over the world that calmed the sea. It challenges me to continue asking big things. God is in control over all. We ask and He brings the storm to a stillness. A devastating situation could have been even more devastating. But, God poured His peace over the water and the oceans were brought to a calm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...