Sunday, January 6, 2013

Photo a Day challenge recap (Days 2-6)

I am doing a photo a day challenge that I found on Pinterest:
Source: instagr.am via Melany on Pinterest


I thought that I would do a recap of each week here on my blog.  So here it goes:

Day two (because that is when I actually started)
January 2, 2013
"New"


This is a new bowl that I bought at Anthropologie (My favorite store.  I love you Anthro!).  They have had all their clearance marked an additional 30% off.  That sale ended today (sad face).  

Day 3
January 3, 2013
"Something I adore"


I had a lot of difficulty with this photo prompt.  I struggled because "adore" is such a strong word and seems a little much to describe a thing.  So, I went with something that I really enjoy and I do really love the display that I have on my bedside table.  I like decor with an antique/vintage feel to it.  The lamp is something that I found at a thrift store and you can tell it is vintage just by looking at the plug.  The photo is one of my favorites of my Mama Doris and Papa.  I just love old photos!!  

The photo sits on top of a stack of books one of which is a very old copy of "Kim" by Rudyard Kipling.  It caught my eye when I was at my grandmother's house.  I just loved the old vintage binding, so she gave it to me.  

The crystal votive holder is the first gift that I ever received from Tiffanys.  There is actually a cool story behind it.  

One year for Christmas my mom started this thing called a "theme gift".  Basically it is a bunch of gifts in a bag that all have a common theme leading to the last "big gift".  For this gift, first I opened a pair of really long black opera gloves and thought perhaps there would be tickets to a show at the end.  Then I opened a tiara and thought, "Um, ok."  The next gift was the movie "Breakfast at Tiffanys" and I thought I had reached the end.  "Oh, I get it - Breakfast at Tiffanys.  The gloves and tiara like what is on the cover of the movie.  Cool."  But my mom told to keep going - there was one more.  And then I saw it - the blue box with white ribbon.  At that point, I did not even care what was inside the box :-)  I just exclaimed "Is this really from Tiffanys?"  To which my dad replied, "It better be." I think he was thinking of the price tag :-)  I opened the box to reveal the crystal votive with a Tiffany scented candle.  The candle is long gone, but that little votive holder is pretty special to me.  I love how it looks with my pearls sticking out of it.  I like pretty things especially when they come from Tiffanys :-)

Day 4
January 4, 2013
"Letterbox"


This box is my most treasured possession and I will probably get a little teary eyed just writing about it. This box holds notes and letters from very special people.  Each piece of paper in this box has words of encouragement written on it.  When I am feeling really down about myself, this box helps to remind me of who I really am and what people think of me.

This box got started on my 21st birthday and I am going to tell another story about my mom that is going to make you wish she was your mom :-)

For my 21st birthday my parents took me to a fancy restaurant to celebrate.  It was a very special evening.  I received this gift containing a box of notecards and it made me cry right there in the middle of that fancy restaurant.  

My mom had contacted all my friends and family and asked them write "My favorite Melany memory".  That is what each note card said:  


She made all these cards, embossed the word "Memories" on the front of each one, sent them out to people with a return envelope, and put them all in this box for me.  The first note that I opened was the following:

That's when the waterworks started :-)  I was so overwhelmed as I sorted through the many cards inside.  There were too many to read sitting there in the restaurant so I finished them when I got home - and got no sleep that night :-)

It is by far the best gift that I have ever received.  Over the years I have added to this box.  In fact it is so full that I need a new box :-)  It is one of my most treasured possessions and I will tell you about my other most treasured possession in a little bit :-)

Day 5
January 5, 2013
"Something you wore"


A smile.  It's the world's greatest accessory.  It looks good on everyone and makes the world a brighter place.  I was listening to the following song when I took this picture:


Give it a listen.  It will make you smile :-)  And while we are speaking of smiling ...

Day 6
January 6, 2013
"Makes you smile"


This is my other most treasured possession - my journals.  I am a huge advocate for journaling.  More on my journaling journey here.  These notebooks tell my story - and what a story it is.  I love reading through my journals.  It reminds me of where I have been and how God has always come through for me.  There are lots of smiles and lots of tears poured out in these journals.  There is lots of triumph and lots of heartache.  Each story ends with God's faithfulness shining through and when times are tough I like to look through them and be reminded of how my Father in heaven will never leave or forsake me.  He has been and always will be good. 

There is week one of the Photo a Day Challenge.  I think that when all is said and done, I am really going to love having this to look back on.  Fun times :-)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...