Friday, February 4, 2011

Freedom Friday - The Super Bowl edition

Ah, Super Bowl.  I love football.  Though college ball is what really gets me fired up (Roll Tide!  Go Bama!) I do also like to watch pro football.

Super Bowl Sunday is this weekend.  The Packers and the Steelers.

I wanted to write about the Super Bowl in this edition of Freedom Friday to draw our attention to the darker side of this major sporting event.  During this time, thousands of minors are being taken to Texas as victims of sex trafficking.  Each year, the Super Bowl is a large draw for traffickers to sell minors for sex.  It is a form of modern day slavery and I am writing this post so that we may be aware of what is happening in our world right now.  After all, awareness is a huge part of the battle.

This Sunday I encourage us to remember the many young people who are victims of sex trafficking.  I am by no means saying that we should boycott Super Bowl.  I know I will be watching it (and routing on the Packers).  However, we do need to be aware of what is really going on in our world and take action in whatever way that we can.  For me, my action is posting this blog and praying for victims of sex trafficking.  Is there something that you can do to raise awareness and help those bound in slavery.  Something to think about :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...