Wednesday, April 24, 2013

An instamatastically pinteresting post on #socialmedia

I have been thinking about social media a lot lately.  There are so many avenues to share your life with the click of a button.  My personal favorite is Instagram.  I love getting (and giving) snapshots of every day life.  It's turned into a few of my own little work creations.

Melany's Instagram Vocabulary:
Instamiss (v) - to miss out on the opportunity to take a great photo, thereby not being able to share it with the world through Instagram
Instamatastic (adj) - something so wonderful that a photo must be captured and shared right away

Here is another one of my word creations:
Pinteresting (adj) - a project or recipe that must be remembered so it can be attempted at a later time.
(I even have a label on this blog named "How Pinteresting" that highlights projects associated with Pinterest)

Social media has given us many avenues to stay connected with people all over the world and to share our life with strangers and friends.  Have you ever spent time thinking about what your social media activity says about you?  Take a moment to think about it and look back on what you are saying to the world.

If we are not careful, we can dump lots of negativity and complaining on our hundreds of unsuspecting "close" friends.  And once you put it out there, it is highly likely that someone sees it right away.  Even if you decide moments later that you need to delete a post or a tweet or to remove a picture, there is a good chance that someone has seen it before you hit the delete button.

I know as I look back through my Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram there are definitely some things that have been cut off the page and not always because it was something meant to be negative.  I have found that there are things that I may say that can be taken in the wrong way from someone who does not know me well (case in point - sarcasm does not translate well with written words).

Then there is the flip side.  Sometimes it is hard to watch people live what looks like a perfect life.  I think that Relevant Magazine wrote a great article addressing this.  You can read it HERE.

I am grateful for social media and the opportunity that it presents to keep up with people all over the world and I am grateful for the avenues that allow me to share my life with the world.  I just want to make sure that who they see is the best representation of me - someone who is positive, likes to encourage and uplift others, likes good food, desires to live a creative life, has hard times but looks at them through rose colored glasses, and most importantly loves Jesus more than anything else in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...