Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Change of heart, change of blog

I had intended to get onto my blog today and finish some posts that I had been working on, but with the burning in my heart the posts that I had previously promised to write will just have to wait.

What burns within is the fact that today is Human Trafficking Awareness day. As I did my part of finding something to post on my Facebook to raise awareness, I found this video:





...and I began to cry. I shed tears over so many things. I cried for those who are bound by slavery, my heart broke for the hurting, and the harsh reality struck me of how quickly I had forgotten them. Anyone who knows me very well at all, knows that my heart is for the hurting and I am passionate about social justice. I have to be honest and say that sometimes I forget. And it strikes me "How in the world could I forget about my passions and desires? Gosh, I get so distracted by 'stuff' and my heart gets to the point where it needs a big jolt." This video was my jolt. For me, it is definitely not coincidence that this realization and awakening (to a desire I had allowed to fizzle) comes at this season in my life. I know that God is once again stoking the fire and (once again) I don't know what it will lead to. One thing that I do know is that right now I can share it (hence the blogpost). I have already been encouraged to see others share the video on Facebook, which is really what it is all about: spreading the word and raising awareness.

On a blogging standpoint: I want to take a pause in the things that I had previously planned on blogging and concentrate on this issue highlighted by "Human Trafficking Awareness Day." So instead of the blogs I promised to write in this post, keep an eye out for "What to Watch", "What to Read", and "Where to Shop". I want to find resources to help you raise your own awareness, learn, and spread the word. If you have any resources you think need to be included, please feel free to leave them in the comments section. Have a wonderful day and be thinking about how you can be a voice for the voiceless. I believe we can see modern day slavery come to an end, but it's going to take an army: Who wants to enlist?

2 comments:

  1. I show this video whenever I speak. I think it's one of the "best" ones out there. It's true to what's happening, gives you hope for change, but also breaks your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put on facebook and will tweet it as well...only a small bit but if everyone did a small bit, what a huge BITE that would take out of the problem!

    loveyatons...mom

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...